- About Fragrances: Did you know.. Fragrances can make you ill.
- Chemical Sensitivity Leaflet
- Food, Mood And Behaviour
- Impacts Of Environmental Toxins On The Health Of Children
- Is It Really Migraine?
- Need to take a medication: some things you may need to consider.
- Pesticides They're Everywhere
- Template Sample Letters For Schools
- School Emergency Action Plan
- Chemical Sensitivity: Is there a problem? : A Consumer Point of View
- Chemical Injury
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity: A 1999 Consensus
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity: 2006 Review of the Evidence
- Disability Rights
- Disability Job Access in Australia
- Information on Applying For Low Allergy Housing
- Template Letter Applying For Low Allergy Housing
- Location, Housing Material and Design Guidelines
- Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission
- Where To Find a Medical Practitioner
- Dealing with Hospitalisation and Emergency Surgery when Allergy, Food and Chemical Sensitivity are Complicating Factors.
- Health Information Template
- Australian Government Review of MCS 2006 -
- Fragrance, Perfume, Scent Information
- Formaldehyde in Clothing
- Medication Information
- Chemically sensitive! Dog got fleas!
- Medications for use with a Low Phenolic Diet
- MCS News
- A Guide to Living with MCS
MCS Visitors Guidelines 2008 - SECTION 1. Why are these guidelines so important?
|MCS - ASEHA MCS Publications|
SECTION 1. Why are these guidelines so important?
The Problem with chemicals
Toxic chemicals are becoming more prevalent in our everyday life; they are everywhere and can be detrimental to all who come into contact with them. All pregnant women need to exercise care when choosing products as some chemicals can affect the unborn. Children and people with chronic diseases and illnesses such as allergy, asthma, eczema, chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia, cancer are more susceptible to chemical exposures. People who have already developed a chemical sensitivity can react much more strongly to chemical exposures. MCS sufferers are affected to the point where they have had to change their whole lives in order to exist.
Most people with MCS have difficulty obtaining medical help, this includes being transported in ambulances, attending medical facilities and close contact with medical professionals wearing fragrances, ingredients of medications. A lack of understanding of the disease within the medical profession further complicates obtaining viable medical treatment. For example even oxygen delivered through plastic tubing and devices can be a problem.
Levels of pesticides and fragrances in hospitals and on staff are a major deterrent to a chemically sensitive person seeking medical assistance. In an emergency medical help may be very difficult to acquire but sometimes it can be needed and the only person who will know when this outweighs the risk is the person with MCS. Be guided by what they say - this is necessary.
We are all different! The severity of reactions and types of chemicals that affect MCS individuals varies enormously. If you have ever had a headache, sinus attack, watery eyes or rash from a particular perfume, deodorant or cleaning product etc you have had a small taste of how a chemically sensitive person suffers. But for those with MCS the whole world seems to be full of ‘irritating’ and toxic substances. This is why they endeavour to create and maintain a safe haven at home, specific to their own personal requirements. This is done by trying to eliminate as many contaminants as is humanely possible.
It has in many cases taken years for someone with MCS to clear their homes of products that contain chemicals that adversely affect their health. This is no mean feat, try maintaining a home without being able to use commercially available paints, wallpapers, cleaning products, insulating products etc. Even after years of dealing with the challenges there are difficulties. The home of a person with MCS may be their only SAFE HAVEN from chemical exposures. Please respect this space; it has often taken a long time to make it happen.
If your visit brings with it a number of chemical contaminants, the person may:
Become total disabled, Suffer an asthma attack that is difficult to resolve as the person cannot use medications normally used to treat attacks, Have a major life threatening reaction (anaphylaxis)Experience a permanent deterioration in their health, a greater degree of sensitivity to chemicals, and probably to an even larger range of products and chemicals.Be afflicted by pain, disorientation, discomfort, migraine etc.
If you have any questions about chemical sensitivity and the needs of the person you are planning to visit please ask – BEFORE YOU VISIT.
Why It Is Important to maintain Social and professional contact
Remember MCS is a debilitating disease that interferes with all aspects of life and isolates sufferers from normal community structure. Social contact is especially hard and can be very demoralizing.
Chemically sensitive persons need personal assistance and company. Some are very isolated. People visiting need to be very careful with their chemical avoidances. If this is not possible it is probably better not to visit at all.
Support from family and friends is always appreciated particularly as it so difficult for ‘normal’ people doing normal everyday things and using normal products NOT to be contaminated in some way. This can be despite their very best efforts.
Support from professional services is also essential and includes health & allied services, building and household maintenance. As the MCS community ages, the need for aged care services increases and this includes home care providers. While help with cleaning the house maybe required, the headache, breathing problems etc that result from exposure to caregivers fragrance and other chemicals clinging to skin and clothing is definitely not.
If you represent an organisation providing services to a chemically sensitive person, please observe the precautionary measures recommended and ensure that any chemically sensitive individuals you visit are given the first appointment in the day to ensure that no contamination has occurred from previous appointments.
These guidelines may seem extreme but they are vital to someone with MCS. The only chance that some people with MCS get to be seen at their best is when they are not being exposed to chemicals. This may only be achieved in their own safe haven. These havens are not always perfect but they are all chemically sensitive people have and it is necessary for them to protect this place from contaminants brought in by other people.
After visiting someone with MCS you may reconsider what you thought was vital and could save yourself a lot of money spent on Personal Care and Cleaning Products. It may be beneficial to your health to visit a chemically sensitive person in their chemical free environment. You never know maybe your sinus or headache might clear up during the visit!!
We thank in advance those who take these guidelines seriously. It is very much appreciated.
Last Updated (Wednesday, 06 July 2011 00:44)